We are always accepting volunteer applications to help with various areas. The biggest area for volunteers to help out is in the barn. During hippotherapy, we always need a sidewalker to assist the therapists and the horse handlers during the session. Hippotherapy involves one therapist (sometimes two during a co-treat), a horse handler, and a sidewalker. Often times the sidewalker is asked to participate as well, whether that is holding something up or grabbing items off of the shelves for the child. Hippotherapy sessions are typically 30 minutes in length, though some are shorter. Sidewalkers commit to coming in weekly for their desired shift.
- Must be comfortable around horses (no direct prior horse experience necessary!)
- Must be physically able to walk alongside a horse while holding onto the rider’s leg for the duration of the ride (with right arm)
- Must be physically able to pull a child off the horse in case of emergency
- At least 17 years of age
Current available shifts (as of 1/13/2020)
- Tuesdays 1:30-5:00 (5 rides with a break from 3:30-4:30).
- Thursdays 2:00-5:00 (4 rides with breaks from 3:00-3:30 and 4:00-4:45).
Please print, fill out, and bring into the clinic to apply! You can also email it to us at email@example.com (otherwise, we have printed paper copies here!)
Thank you to all our dedicated volunteers who help the kids by sidewalking during hippotherapy sessions or assisting in the office!